Sunday, June 28, 2009

Justin: Week 1

Hey everyone,

So far, we have finished our first week here in Oakland. We first arrived at Patten University for our orientation on June 21st. We were there for a couple of days with some introductions to the city and some teaching. Then we headed to our sites on the 26th, which is a Friday.

City Team
My team's site is at City Team Ministries. City Team Ministries is a non-profit organization that helps to rehabilitate men and help them to reintegrate into the society. These men have different classes throughout the week in the 12-step program. The days are heavily scripture filled for these men as well; every morning they have a bible study, chapel in the evenings, accountability on Fridays, and within their schooling they have scripture.

So far we have just been settling into our living spaces at City Team and meeting the guys here. Even though I have only been here for a couple of days, I feel like I have been here for at least a week or more. Most of the guys are really welcoming and friendly. I learned a dominoes game that some of the guys play here which is so much fun. We visited one of the guy's church today called True Vine.

So this is a little quick overview of what has been happening so far. I only have an hour so I need to keep it brief and if you have any questions, you can shoot me an email. The next blogs and emails will have some more meat when we start our time in the program.

Prayer Requests
Please pray for all of our hearts that God will be transforming them more into the likeness of Christ

P.S. please ignore the spelling and grammatical errors

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great.
    Continue doing a great work in the Lord.
    We'll be praying for you.

    Sis in Christ,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    What is taught specifically in these classes?

    thanks,
    cadiz

    p.s. been praying mucho.

    ReplyDelete