Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dillon (Phil Shetty): BAyUP BAyUP BAyUP... Semana Una!

Hello friends family and people of all ages. I'm here to let you know a little bit about my experience at BAyUP up until June 28th. You might have heard about everything I'm going to type in the last blog posts, so if you have fear of that feel free to stop reading now. But, of course it is Dillon Adams posting a blog for the first time in his life and he is kind of funny so... lets get to the point.

The Story (so far):

I started my adventure at a little place called Patten University. I arrived at the University with Mom and brother Muir who so willingly drove me. When I arrived I was greeted by my team members Casey, John Man, Justin, Irene, Jeff, and Peggy. They helped me carry my stuff into the dorm rooms at Patten University and my Mom and Muir left. We had about 35 people at the training participating in the BAyUP program, and as some of you might not know I do not do well in large groups of people I don't know. I'm usually pretty quiet at first. Of course once I get to know the group thats a whole different story. Our (meaning all of the BAyUPers) time at Patten was set aside so that we could get ready to go to our different sites. We heard many speakers on the culture of Oakland, how to interact with people, stories about how god is working, and how to work with teams. I found this time very helpful and I probably learned the most I had ever learned within weeks worth of time. I also found that I was able to connect with god as I put aside more time for him, learned new things about him like how to do a prayer walk, and was challenged in my time. Patten was a great experience and I am very happy that this week was set aside, because if it hadn't been... being on site would be much more of a struggle and very hard to understand.

Cityteam:

As some of you might know, Oakland is not my first choice for a vacation spot. In fact, the only time remember ever being in Oakland was stopping at a gas station with my family and our frist reaction was get out of here quick! All of the windows had bars on them and I figured if I ever go back I would probably get hurt or in some kind of trouble. Going to Cityteam with this mentalitly made me too excited and I questioned why I would even choose such a place to spend my summer in.

Then I arrived on my first day and many of my negative expectations were destroyed and I feel like go really blessed me in this way. I didn't expect that I would like the site, or know how to talk to people at it but I am learning to love both of these things. We live in what was an old hotel, then brothel, and now Cityteam. I live in a room with huge bay windows and a building with roof access. When we started meeting the staff here one of them actually started to share his life story and how he went through the Rehab program which he now runs. This man, which I will call James owned a company that he started. It grew very quickly and he ended up selling it for 1.6 million dollars. He said he retired at 43 and just lived out on a house boat drinking and wasting away life. His dad and sister (the only relatives left) died and he had nothing to live for. He quickly became addicted to alcohol and drugs which led to him being left with no money. He ended up living homeless for a year and became okay with it. One of his friends recommened that he joined Cityteams program and he chose to join. He soon overcame his addictions and found meaning in his life as he learned about Christ through the program. In Christ, he found meaning and importance and reason to live. Now he dedicates his life to run the rehab program at Cityteam to help more men experience the same transformation he did through Jesus.

Two more quick stories (only have 10 minutes left before my hour online is up):

A friend in the Rehab program and a friend in another program called Back To Life, came to play basketball with our BAyUP team last night. We went to a basketball court when it was almost dark in downtown Oakland next to the freeway with a basball field next to it. Now I don't know if you've seen those moves where people do drive-bys, but this seemed like one of those seens. It made me feel kind of adventerous, a little nervous, but excited to play a sport that I haven't played in a very long time. It was a good adventure.

Then this morning I went to a black church for the first time and it was tight. It was over 250 people and the musical worship was amazing. I loved the energy in the room and it kept moving for a whole hour of musical worship. The sermon was very new to me and the whole environment was great. I think the best part was seeing hope in this suffering city through the light of Jesus Christ. I was so blessed to be in a room with hundreds of Oaklanders worshiping god. The message at the church was one focused more on faith and hope which obviously related to many in the church and there current situations.

So, this is some of my experience so far and my time is up. Next time I will try to entertain any one who reads this a little better... some prayer requests.

Prayer Requests:
I ask that you would pray for our relationships with the men in the Rehab program and Back To Life program become much deeper. I want to learn more from them and there stories and be able to share more about me and my story. I think so far we are making a lot of progress, so give thanks to god for that.

Also pray for our team to be vulnerable and open in our communications we have with one another.

Pray against unbelief in Jesus Christ and his power to transform our lives and other lives here. Also for our team to have a sense that we really need to rely on god for our whole time here. For boldness in sharing the gospel, and taking risks in faith.

Pray for the men in this place, that they would hold strong to the Rehab program and never give up.

Also for our team to really love and serve the men here in the Rehab program. Because remember to be first in the kingdom you must be last here on earth. BSL FOR LIFE!!!

Thank you for your prayers,
Dillon Steele Adams

1 comment:

  1. you are so entertaining Dillon! thanks for the update. i'm so glad to hear you're having a good time. i'm praying for you guys. can't wait to visit on sunday.

    pri

    ps: BSL FOR LIFE! word!

    ReplyDelete