Sunday, July 5, 2009

(D Train) Dillon the Steele Adams... BAyUP Scene 2

Blog post #2

Hello family friends and anyone else who reads too many blogs online and happened to find this one randomly. Sorry if my last blog was a little boring or had a million spelling errors. I will not try harder on this one, but just wanted to let you know I was sorry. Also sorry to all of those who just found out I am posting online about BAyUP, especially to those supporters who did not know. Once again thank you for the support and please continue to pray for me. In fact if you are praying for me just leave a little comment that says I've been praying for you so that I can see who is committed to seeing god work in my life and those in Oakland.

The Story (Part 2)

I have now finished my first week at Cityteam and even though it has only been one week, it feels like it is has been one year. My days have been very long starting at 5:53AM in the morning, every morning. You would think that maybe on the weekends we might choose to sleep in a little bit later but we all agreed to stay committed to the long hours the men in the rehab program face... Now I'm going to break down a little schedule for you all to let you know whats up during the week for me.

On the average day:

I will get up at 5:53AM and brush my teeth then head downstairs for breakfast at 6AM. Breakfast usually consists of oatmeal, eggs, moldy bread, water, and grape Kool aid. We eat the food and then head upstairs to a bible study that starts at 7AM.

Bible Study is probably my favorite part of BAyUP so far. There are three bible studies and our team members broke up into the different small groups. Peggy and I reside in a small group downstairs in a study room. The reason why it has been my favorite part is because it is a place where the men really take the time to open up to us college kids. It also gives our team the chance to be vulnerable with them so that we can start to create the deep relationships we are striving for. We get to here about how people are struggling and how we can apply the word directly to our lives right now. This is also usually one of the times when I am most awake.

Then after bible study at around 8AM we head off to quiet time till around 9AM. Quiet time consists of prayer and reading the bible.

Then at 9AM we usually have a team meeting so that we can check up on each other and talk about our team dynamics and problems. This has been a really good time to help each other and make BAyUP overall a much better experience for everyone.

After our meeting we have until lunch at Noon to just chill. For me that usually happens to be a nap, reading, or studying some Japanese.

After lunch is when we really get the opportunity to serve Cityteam and and help the men in the Rehab Program. Most of our team finds themselves working in the tutoring center. To give you an example of what the tutoring consists of: We have men who entered the program and for the first time started to read and right and I'm talking about men 30-40 years old. Most of the men are striving for a GED while some already have it. Everyone in the program is supposed to spend about 2 hours a day committed to the learning center. I haven't been spending much time in the tutoring center because most people at Cityteam wants to be tutoring. The first day I spent some time sorting food in the kitchen with my team leaders Casey and Peggy. It was interesting because we found tons of bags of food chewed up by mice and some boxes with dead mice in them. Since then I haven't been sorting food but have been working on another project. I have spent a lot of time searching for jobs online for the men after they graduate the 12 month intensive program here at Cityteam. With most of the men having felonies and having been in prison for some time it is hard for them to find a job and let alone re enter any part of society without being looked down upon. It has been interesting learning what many of them face in the future. We have found very few job opportunities online. A few days ago my homeboy Justin and I decided to walk around the neighborhood (downtown Oakland near China Town) to look from some jobs they might be able to take part in locally. We went to around 10 businesses and found one that was very interested in hiring men as they graduate to help them re enter society. This person actually knew some recent graduates from the rehab program at Cityteam, so we wonder what hope there is. I guess next time we better start with prayer. We plan on walking around again tomorrow.

After this which is usually about 1-5AM we have dinner at 6PM. Dinner and Lunch for the last week has usually included fried chicken. No Padre it is not nearly as good as BFC. Then there is chapel at the homeless shelter from 7-8. After that we try to play some games with the men in the rehab program or watch a movie with them. Then we head upstairs for sleep around 10.

Monday night, Wednesday nights, and the weekends we have programs with everyone from the BAyUP program. On Wednesday nights our team is in charge of cooking dinner for all of the other teams. About 30 people with $80. It is definitely a good time and next week might be one of my favorites, CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES!

Other than these things I have gone to a Cathedral this last week and to a great fireworks show in downtown Oakland.

God has definitely showed me a lot of judgments I have had against people and is really shaping my view on how to serve him in his kingdom and what that looks like. Next week I will definitely give you more of an update on what god has been doing spiritually and showing me. This last weekend we spent a lot of time focusing on white privilege.... more next week!

So Yes the one hour of internet time is up and I want to leave you all with a few things...

1st
Thank you for reading my post and keeping updated with my life and the good work god is doing.
2nd
Thank you to all who pray and supported me financially, I am so grateful to have friends and family who truly care about me and love me.
3rd
Please continue praying for me

Prayer Requests:

Pray that I will hold strong to the program and will never have a sense of wanted to be lazy or give up. That I will continue to be more vulnerable with the men in the rehab program and really try to speak truth into there lives. That sharing about Christ would become a natural thing for me in my conversations. That I would spend more time building relationships with the men personally. Also that the lord would continue to speak to me and love in many ways.

Thank you so much for your prayers,

Dillon Steele Adams

6 comments:

  1. D-Train. Great to hear what is going on. I am excited to be praying for you. I feel really blessed to see how God is working, and it makes me really happy for you. Will keep praying and see you on sunday!

    Pri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Phil. I've been praying for you, but now I'll remember to keep your team in my prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye Vato,

    your middle name is Steele? or are you yanking the chain some? I'm glad to hear about all that God is doing for you during your time at BayUp, and I'll def keep yall in my prayers. Yeah, it's pretty scary what kind of food homeless shelters get. When I worked in the Poverello House in Fresno, I used to have to peel the slimy part of the lettuce off of rotten heads to get to the "still good" core to chop up and put into the salads. It's better than nothin' though.

    See you sunday :)

    Maria

    PS. (I'll likely bake up a giant batch of cookies for your team - I'm thinkin choco chip)
    PPS. Eric sends his love, he's in Nebraska and won't be back til the 18th, so he won't get to see you guys this weekend.
    PPPS. I'm not sure why that first PS is in parentheses, but it's too late to change it now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Phil,
    So happy to be able to follow you on your blog! Sounds like an amazing experience, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to call. Love, Moogie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Adams--

    It is great to see a glimpse of the massive impact you're taking part in. You know by now that I've always got your back and you are in my prayers. Hope to see you soon. Please be safe and take care.

    --Lemon Tea (rhymes with Tim Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dill--

    That sounds like a really cool and challenging experience. Thanks for the update, and you're still in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm excited to see you when you get back!

    -Bret

    ReplyDelete